Classification: Administrative Faculty-Collections Manager
Department: Joseph Moore Museum
Status: Part-time, no benefits. One-year appointment with merit-based renewal up to five years
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Here at the Joseph Moore Museum, we have an extensive collection of specimens not on display. This includes more than 12,000 vertebrate specimens, such as skins, skeletons, alcohol preps, fossils and subfossils, and ~40,000 invertebrate specimens, including fossil invertebrate type specimens.
• Organization, care and improvements of the collections, daily;
• Manage collections data using a computerized database (Specify 6);
• Preparation and conservation of specimens;
• Develop and implement an integrated pest management plan (with
direction from the Director);
• Supervise students and volunteers;
• Administer loans and facilitate use of the collections;
• Assist with grant-writing to support Museum operations and improvements;
• Other duties as assigned.
Collaborative research with students is highly encouraged; independent
research may also be supported on a case-by-case basis.
• BA/BSc in biology, geology or related field is required;
• Experience preparing vertebrate specimens is required;
• Must be self-directed and have the ability to work independently.
• Must have good manual dexterity, impeccable handwriting and good
• Museum experience, integrated pest management knowledge, excellent
computer skills (particularly, knowledge of collections databases),
and a background in systematics are highly desirable
Interested candidates should send letter of application, curriculum
vita, and names of three references electronically (as a pdf) to Marilyn Lea at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, contact Dr. Heather Lerner, Director of the Joseph Moore Museum, at email@example.com.